Prof. (Engr.) M. Ali Ashraf, FIEB, PEng
|Designation||Qualification & Membership||Specialization||Total experience|
Pro-Vice-Chancellor (in Charge) & Head, Department of Civil Engineering
|Master of Regional & Community
Planning (KSU, USA)
B.Sc. in Civil Engg. (CU),
FIEB, FBIP, PEng.
Traffic Engg. & Transportation Planning;
Project Planning & Management;
Housing & Settlement Planning
|42 years in Teaching,
Research and Professional activities in Bangladesh and abroad
1. Reviewer of Transportation Component of the book: ‘State of Cities: Governance for a Liveable Chittagong. Published by BRAC Institute of Governance and Development, BRAC University, 2014.
2. Detailed Area Plan (DAP) for the Chittagong Metropolitan Master Plan by Chittagong Development Authority (CDA). December 2008. Participated as one of the core experts who has produced the Detailed Area Plan (DAP) for Chittagong. Printed as a single volume, copies of DAP for Chittagong are on sale, currently, by CDA.
3. ‘A concept of city government for major cities of Bangladesh’, published in a book ‘Urbanization in Bangladesh: Patterns, Issues, and Approaches to Planning’ edited by Prof. Dr.Sarwar Jahan & Prof. Dr. K. M. Maniruzzaman, Bangladesh Institute of Planners, January 2007.
4. Chittagong Metropolitan Master Plan by Chittagong Development Authority (CDA). March 1995. Participated as one of the core experts, in the UNDP/UNCHS team of experts, who have produced the Master Plan. Four volumes of the Master Plan: structure plan, urban area plan, drainage master plan, and the transportation master plan were published and currently are on sale by CDA.
Journal:(a few representative examples)
1. M. Ali Ashraf, Md. Rezuanul Islam, Sarfaraz Gani Adnan, Gis And Multi-Criteria Decision Method Based Approach Of Identifying Appropriate Land Fill Sites For The City Of Chittagong. International Journal of Environment, Volume-4, Issue-1, DEC-FEB 2014/2015.
2. M.Ali Ashraf, Shariful Alam Chowdhury. Drainage planning in the Cities of Bangladesh: Case Study of Drainage & Water logging in Chakatai Commercial Area, Chittagong. Journal of Bangladesh Institute of Planners. Vol.2, Dec. 2009.
3. M. Ali Ashraf. Solid Waste Collection and Disposal in Chittagong: Problems and Prospects. ‘Bangladesh Urban Studies’, Vol.2, Number 2, June 1994.
4. M.Ali Ashraf. Socio-Economic Characteristics and Physical Environments of Squatters in Chittagong, Bangladesh: Case Study of One Squatter Settlement. Bangladesh Urban Studies, Vol.1, Number 2, June 1993.
Research Reports / Professional Reports / Guide Book:
1. ‘Earthquake: School Safety Programme, Student & Teacher Guide’. Compiled and edited by Prof.Dr. Jahangir Alam & Engr.M.Ali Ashraf PEng. IEB, Chittagong- CUET joint Programme. August 2008.
2. Task Force Investigation Report on Disaster Mitigation after a severe earthquake in Rangamati in the year 2003 by a probe body formed by the Institution of Engineers Bangladesh. Participated as the member secretary of the Task Force Team. 2003.
3. ‘Vision for the future: Tourism Development Plan for Cox’s Bazar’. Report on the outcome of a workshop on Tourism Development. Published by Cox’s Bazaar Healthy Town Program, World Health Organization (WHO) & Cox’s Bazaar Pourashava. Engr.M.Ali Ashraf, PEng. prepared the report, designed and conducted the workshop.1997.
4. Task Force Investigation Report on the collapsing of a five storied building at Hamzarbag, Chittagong after an earthquake in the year 1997 by a probe body formed by The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh consisting of members drawn from the practicing engineers and academics of BUET & BIT, Chittagong. Participated as the member secretary of the Task Force Team. 1997.
1. “Arsenic screening of tube –wells within the city wards: East Sholashahar and North Halishahar under Chittagong City Corporation” by Prof.Dr.Shawpan Kumar Palit & Engr.M.Ali Ashraf, PEng. A joint research project of Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology (CUET) & The Institution of Engineers Bangladesh (IEB), Chittagong Centre. December 2010.
2. “Arsenic screening of groundwater from tube wells located within Chittagong city” by Engr.M.Ali Ashraf PEng. & Prof. Dr.Swapan Kumar Palit. A joint research project of the Institution of Engineers Bangladesh (IEB), Chittagong & Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology (CUET). November 2008.
3. ‘Slums in Chittagong City: Strategy for Improvement’. Research Report by Engr.M.Ali Ashraf, PEng. Published by the Chittagong Healthy City Program, World Health Organization (WHO) & Chittagong City Corporation. June 1995.
Invited Speaker (International):
International Symposium, Congress and Conferences (a few representative examples)
1. Invited Speaker. Presented an invited paper, ‘Flourishing through ages: Chittagong shines to become a global city’. International Symposium: Cities under Change. Kolkata, India. October 17, 18 & 19, 2012.
2. Invited Speaker. Presented an invited paper, ‘Sharing Regional Experience: Landslide Hazards in Chittagong; Problems, issues and some Recommendations for Mitigation’. Institute of Engineers India, Tripura State Centre, Agartala, 23rd February 2012.
3. Invited Speaker. Invited to give a talk to the faculty and students of the Graduate Program in Planning at Kansas State University, the USA on 25th September 1997. The topic was ‘Urban Management in Bangladesh with particular reference to pollution’.
4. Invited Speaker. Invited to serve as a speaker in a session, “Healthy Cities: Water, Sanitation & Waste Disposal” of the 1997 International Health Congress held from 14-17 September at Baltimore, USA (Organized by World Health Organization / PAHO). Read a paper entitled, “Community Participation in Solid Waste Collection & Disposal: Lessons from Dhaka & Chittagong, Bangladesh”.
Seminar:(a few representative examples)
1. Presented a paper on sound pollution in Chittagong on 23 July 2017 at Southern University Bangladesh. Jointly Organized by Dakhina Bangla Mashik and Southern University Bangladesh.
2. Presented a paper, ‘Pro-People Transportation system; Chittagong is the perspective’ on 9 April 2016 at IEB, Ctg. Centre. Jointly organized by the Institution of Engineers Bangladesh, Chittagong Centre, Institution of Architects Bangladesh, Chittagong Centre, Bangladesh Institute of Planners, Chittagong Chapter.
3. Presented a paper, ‘Good Governance in Technical Education’ on 28 March 2016 at Institution of Engineers (India), Tripura. Organized by IEI, Tripura and Tripura University.
4. Presented a paper about ‘Development of Bakalia, Chittagong’ by Prof (Engr.) M. Ali Ashraf on 25 March 2016 at KB Convention Centre, Bridge Approach Road. Organized by Monthly Chittagong Digest.
5. Presented a paper, ‘Earthquake hazard; Chittagong in the perspective’ on 10 September 2015 at Chittagong Club. Organized by Rotary Club of Islamabad, Chittagong.
6. Presented a paper, ‘Earthquake risks in Chittagong’ on 20 May 2015 at Chittagong Ma-O-Shishu Hospital. Organized by CMOSH.
7. Presented a paper, ‘City Development: Chittagong in the perspective’ on the occasion of Engineers Day on 16 May 2014 at IEB, Chittagong center. Organized by IEB, Ctg. Centre.
8. Presented a paper, ‘Identification of appropriate landfill sites for the city of Chittagong’ in the 3rd International Conference on Solid Waste Management in Developing Countries at Khulna University of Engineering & Technology (KUET) on 10-12 February 2013. It was a jointly authored article by M.Ali Ashraf, Md. Rezuanul Islam, Kazi Mahfuzur Rahman & Md.Sarfaaz Gani Adnan. The paper was adjudged the best paper of the conference jointly organized by KUET, Bauhaus University, Weimar, Germany, University of Padova, Italy, IWWG & ORBIT Group.
Reviewer of journals:
· ‘Waste Management’, International Journal published by Elsevier.
· The Chittagong University Journal of Business Administration.
· Journal of Bangladesh Institute of Planners.